About FIAN Coordination - Andhra Pradesh
FIAN - Andhra Pradesh group was formed on 5th October 2003. It was the
result of a few concerned Human Rights Activists in Andhra Pradesh along
with their associates from outside Andhra Pradesh. These deliberations led
to the evolution of a program on human rights aimed at a continued process
of monitoring, leading to make the State accountable to its citizens for
the violations of Right to Food that occur within the state of Andhra
Pradesh and simultaneously work for the promotion of human rights culture.
Vision and Mission of FIAN AP
A brief overview of status of right to food in the state
How to get involved
Focusing in field area:
|Name of the
||Number of Mandals
||Number of people
|1. Ranga Reddy
||8 - Mandals
||21 - Mandals
||17 - Mandals
||7 - Mandals
||5 - Mandals
||3 - Mandals
|Total Districts -
Total Mandals -
Total FIAN Andhra Pradesh -
The executive Committee -
Coordination committee -
|6 ( 6 local units)
61 ( Mandal consisting of 22 villages)
FIAN Andhra Pradesh Collaborated with:
- Andhra Pradesh Union of Working Journalists (APUWJ) -Vijayawada
- Society For Enlightenment And Reorganization of The Village - Ends
- Association of Relief Volunteers (ARV) -Machilipatnam
- Rayalaseema Dalita Vedika (RDV) - Kadapa
- Nava Kanthi (NK) - Machilipatnam
- SHRINE - Nuzvid
- Society for Accelerating Humanizing Actions Initiatives (SAHAI) -
- Monitoring Public Distribution Schemes (survey)
18 villages surveyed and factual data submitted to the Collector and MRO
for the following demands:
- Reform and expansion of the public distribution system (PDS);
- Realization of the right to work, especially in drought-effected
- Functional anganwadis in every habitation;
- Anganwadi started in 6 villages.
- Ration cards issued 143 families
- Food For Work Program sanctioned in 4 villages
- Monitoring Starvation Deaths (case work)
- Fact-finding conducted for 11 cases.
- Reports prepared with factual data
- Disseminated reports to the NHRC and Concerned Government
- 4 starvation deaths has been given a relief package by the Andhra
Pradesh Government on the initiative of the National Human Rights
Commission as "Starvation death victim's family and village gets
- Besides this, various measures have been taken up in the victim's
village to ensure "Right to Food" to the people.
- Based on the report, the commission requested into Special
Rapporteur Mr. K. R. Venugopal to make an on-the-spot investigation,
which revealed several shortcomings on the part of the local
- The commission then took up the matter with the State Government,
which informed it that the relief measures have been carried out.
- Land Rights: Land issues (case work)
The FIAN AP has taken up 3 Land major cases:
- Involvement in Land struggle for Dalits in Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh
- Land issue of Prakasham-Vengamukkalapalem, Andhra Pradesh
- Action on Kolleru Lake, Krishna and Godavari districts, Andhra
- Agricultural laborers were got 209 acres of land
- Pass books also distributed to all families in the name of women
- Government issued order to the Revenue authorities of west
Godavari district to investigate the issue and submit a detail report.
- The government of Andhra Pradesh formed a House Committee
comprising all political parties to study the whole issue and to give
necessary guide lines and recommendations.
- Forestry department has been planning to protect lake in order to
make tourism place.
- Human Rights Education & Training (HRE)
- Human Rights training for media professionals, Vijayawada- 4th
- Human Rights Education for College students, Secunderabad - 7th
- Human Rights Education for Teachers - Vijayawada - 19th Feb, 05
- Right to food awareness program - Nuzvid - 2oth Feb, 05
- Right to Food Awareness Program - 4,5,6th of March 05 - Nellore.
- Manual scavenging Awareness Program - Prakasham - 16th Oct, 04
- The HR Education programme made the Student community to act as
Monitors of HR violations.
- Participants understood the objective and vision of FIAN
international and various aspects of Right to Food
- Indian Journalists Union (IJU) President K. Sreenivasa Reddy and
Andhra Pradesh Union of Working Journalists (APUWJ) Requested FIAN AP
coordination team to organise more trainings on ESCR rights for media
professionals in all Districts and at the state level.
- N.G.Os are asking to conduct Human Rights Training programs at
Organizational level especially on Right to Food.
- 4 local NGOs joined hands to work with FIAN - AP in 3 Districrts.